Applications are open.
Deadline EXTENDED! – The 2024 application period will close on Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2023, at 11:59 p.m.
Applicants are required to submit a video elevator pitch to tell us about their product/venture.
Your video submission should be 60 seconds or less.
- The best pitch recording format is “picture-in-picture” style.
- In other words, you should aim to record your slide deck to be visible on your desktop while also recording your face(s) and voice(s) with a webcam as you advance through each slide.
Additionally, a video demonstrating your product is also required.
This video can be approximately 60 seconds, showing your prototype or product and how it works.
The Thumbraise application will guide you through various questions and prompts about your business that will cover the following topics:
- Introduce the problem or opportunity as described by actual users or consumers within a specific business, home, or institutional setting.
- Describe or demonstrate your novel solution with a focus on how the product or service works in three steps or less.
- Describe the competitive landscape and your competitive advantage. What similar solutions or status quo behaviors currently exist? Why will customers/users choose your solution over other options? Is your solution protected or protectable via a patent, trademark, etc.?
- Describe your current or planned business model. Who pays for your solution: how much, how often and where do these transactions occur? In other words, describe your first sale or a typical sale.
- Introduce your team and key mentors with a focus on their extraordinary accomplishments and/or unique ninja skills. Why is your team uniquely qualified to bring this product or service to market?
Initial application disclaimer
By submitting an application to the ASU Innovation Open, each applicant agrees to the following conditions:
- It is the applicant’s responsibility to protect any highly confidential or trade secret information. The legal protection of the concepts submitted by the applicants to the competition is otherwise the sole responsibility of the applicants.
- All decisions made by the judges on all matters relating to ASU Innovation Open will be final and not open to appeal or negotiation.
- The ASU Innovation Open Advisory Council reserves the right to interpret these rules, and to alter, amend or change them, at its discretion.
- In consideration for the time, expertise and other resources of the ASU Innovation Open organizers, partners, judges, mentors and advisors and each of their respective directors, officers, partners, employees, consultants and agents (collectively “Representatives”), each applicant voluntarily releases ASU Innovation Open and each Representative from any liabilities, responsibilities, and accountabilities relating to or arising out of such Representative’s participation in the ASU Innovation Open.
Video recording tools
In order to record your pitch using these formats, please consider the following options:
- Use screencast-o-matic.com/home.
- If you are aware of any other useful recording tools, please go ahead and use them.
- If you cannot record your webcam and deck at the same time, you can record video submissions to each question and attach your deck to the application. However, we strongly encourage you to show your slides and video simultaneously. It is far easier for the audience to follow along.